Monday, April 4, 2011

Hello From the Lone Star State.

The Jays came close, but they couldn't quite sweep the Twinkies out of town yesterday falling 4 - 3.  I didn't see or hear any of the game yesterday, but from what I understand the bottom of the ninth inning brought an atmosphere to the dome that had many in attendance on their feet.  With two on and two out in the ninth, Jose Bautista was at the plate, and worked his way back from 0 and 2 to earn a walk, and bring up Lind with the bases loaded down by a run.  Unfortunately the first pitch to him was a slider that he grounded to first to end the game.  Tough break, but a great series played by Toronto.

As I said I didn't see or hear the game today.  Normally, at the very least I keep my eye on the score using my trusty "Score" application on my blackberry.  Believe me when I tell you that if I don't know what's happening in the Jays game on any given day, it's because of circumstances beyond my own control.  Thus was the case yesterday.  Yesterday I was driving and flying my way to Texas in a trip that started at 5:45 Eastern time, and ended two hours behind schedule at approximately 6:40 Central time. 

The trip started off well with a drive down the 401 to #6 to the QEW to arrive at the border on route to the Buffalo International Airport.  The border wasn't bad, as there were only two cars ahead of me when I lined up to cross.  What was disconcerting however was that both cars ahead of me were flagged off to the side to be searched.  As I wearily pulled ahead, and handed my passport to a very grumpy border guard I wondered if the extra 90 minutes I had allowed myself would be enough to get to the airport in time to catch my flight.  But after about three minutes of very pointed (and thorough I might add) questions, I was on my way again.

The flight out of Buffalo was uneventful.  It was the stop over at the Charlotte North Carolina air port where things got interesting.  Our flight was to board at 2:15pm EST and take off at 2:45pm.  They started boarding those who needed assistance, and first class customers at 2:15 right on schedule.  I had a seat in the seventh row so I was among the last to board.  Upon boarding, we then sat in the plane and waited.  After about 15 minutes the pilot came on to tell us that the mechanics had just found one last thing before we could take off, and that we would be departing shortly.  Another half hour passed and once again the pilot came on over the intercom.  This time to tell us that the plane had been deemed "Unfit for flight" and we all needed to leave the aircraft.

This is all fine with me and as far as I'm concerned, no big deal right?  Apparently not.  I could not believe the amount of complaining from my fellow passengers when we were instructed to leave the plane.  Wouldn't they rather leave the unfit aircraft?  Is the inconvenience of leaving late, or perhaps not leaving at all not more favorable than the inconvenience of possibly crashing?  I vote yes.  A crash would have greatly inconvenienced my day!

Upon evacuating the aircraft and once again crowding the gate inside the airport, we were told that there was another plane coming to gate B16 to pick us up as soon as possible.  My first thought was "Awesome!  We're still going to get there today, we're just going to be a little late.  We don't have to stay overnight!  Great!"  Unfortunately my fellow travelers did not share my sentiment.  Sometimes I think people need to take a step back from the moment they are in, and take another look at the big picture.

The point of the story is that I did land safely at the Dallas Fort Worth International Airport two hours behind schedule where my lovely bride was waiting for me at the gate.  Two hours later we were enjoying a late dinner together outside on a patio, and yes, I was wearing short sleeves.  (I hear there was snow at home?  He he he)

What does this have to do with baseball you ask?  Well, let me tell you.  The Blue Jays have the night off tonight, but I on the other hand do not.  I will be hopping in the rental car for the short drive to Ranger's Ball Park in Arlington to watch Navan Ontario native Erik Bedard make his first start since the 2009 season when his Seattle Mariners play the home town Texas Rangers.  Erik hasn't pitched since 2009 because he had to have a few surgical procedures performed.  I've been a Bedard fan since he first broke into the league, and I sincerely hope that he is able to have a successful comeback and hopefully a healthy career from this point forward.  Bedard has always had the stuff and the talent to be great, but has never really been able to realize his potential due to injuries.

I've never been to Texas before so this will be my first time going to the Ranger's park.  It should be a lot of fun!  I will be writing, and posting pictures, to tell you all about it tomorrow!

No comments:

Post a Comment